Thursday, October 4, 2012

Green roofs (techos verdes) of Latin America

Living in North America there's a lot about what's happening around here. And we get a decent amount of living architecture news from Europe. But Asia? Little. Africa? Zilch. Latin America? Forget about it! So I need to do a post highlighting some of these underreported treasures. This, I feel, will be the first of many posts.

Let's check out the Techos Verdes!!! 

Mexico -
Green roofs at 'El Acantilado' in Zapopan, Jalisco are spread out over a couple of buildings. I love how the white walls really brings out the color of the vegetated roofs! Ah yes, I cannot forget that  from what I can sleuth in Mexico City, as of late 2011 there were over 8000 square meters of green roof so far.


Colombia - 
Both Bogota, Colombia and Buenos Aires, Argentina require green roofs on city buildings. 


Argentina - 
Okay, I couldn't resist adding a green wall to the mix, although I could do an entire post on green walls in Latin America.  The OrganizaciĆ³n Mundial de la Salud (OMS) was one of the first to get both a green roof and a green wall, to set an example for the rest of the city (Buenos Aires). Can't recall seeing any green wall before around oval windows!



Brasil-
How about some more residential green roofs? Ecovilas is a sustainable village in the province of Rio Grande do Sul. In total there are 18 green roofs, each about 1100 square feet big.




2 comments:

  1. Forget about it! So I need to do a post highlighting some of these underreported treasures. This, I feel, will be the first of many posts. mudanzas palencia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete