Saturday, September 1, 2012

Ants on a green roof...in real life and song

First the context...

I'm pulling dandelions from the green roof profiled last week, which on this roof is surprisingly easy because a few ants seem to like hanging out near their roots. Up pop a few brown ants.



Within five minutes I've caused a major kerfuffle. That dandelion was home to a small band of ants.



In another five things had died down. But it got me to thinking, what kind of ants are these?
I had no clue. Thanks to a little research I am ready to call them Lasius. I'll have to double check that assertion under a microscope. I had never really paid attention to ants, of any kind, before, but I learn something every day in this business. Now if someone asks YOU what kinds of ants can be found on a green roof, you'll have an answer.

Now for some music in honor of their discovery and a promise that I won't bother them again....

Dave Matthews Band - Ants Marching
Bo Carter - Ants In My Pants
Adam Ant - Goody Two Shoes 

No comments:

Post a Comment