Monday, August 13, 2012

Green roof garage done!

We finished up a green roof in late June and keep forgetting to post the pretty pictures:




Featured on the roof are about 5 inches of saturated medium, a few edible plants (chives and oregano), incredibly reliable sedums john creech, sedum red carpet (the reddish one in the middle), sedum kamtschaticum variegatum and regular ole sedum kamtschaticum. It's difficult to see, but there are a few sedum species plants which we had not tried before, sedum pachcylados (seen below)



and sedum ternatum (native to eastern North America). The sedum pachcylados I think will do well, sedum ternatum is allegedly one of the few sedums that likes very wet medium. A few years ago I tried to get some for an installation in northern Ontario but it was not on the market (according to a few sources) because of some "problems". Don't recall what they meant, but I steered clear as directed. Decided to try 4 plants this go around and they look pretty scrawny, so I don't have high hopes. I'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

  1. I envy you for having that green roof in your garage. I wished I also have green roof so that I can have more space for my edible plants. It must have been very challenging to put up this green roof. Kudos! ->Allyson Duguay

    ReplyDelete