Sunday, February 26, 2012

February music, word of the week and book review...combined!


Did I just blow your mind?

Many are familiar with E.O. Wilson's biophilia hypothesis. In 2010, Timothy Beatley penned Biophilic Cities. Beatley first addresses why nature and wildness is important in urban and peri-urban lives before outlining the essential elements of a biophilic city.
Of tremendous use to an urban designer/planner or multidisciplinary team in the planning stages of a project would be the "biophilic city indicators" (more like a checklist) on page 47. As a professional in the living architecture field, I found it particularly helpful in framing my work (where exactly do I fit and green roofs, green walls and more on the biophilic design element scale??? Page 85 has the answers!!!) and opening my eyes to new ways for collaborating with others.

And, as luck would have it, Bjorkreleased her full-length album (more like a musical project) biophilia almost a year after Beatley's book. Coincidence? By the way...do they still call them "albums"?

Enjoy the music and let me know what you think of the accompanying apps!

No comments:

Post a Comment