Sunday, June 26, 2011

Edible green roof plants - my quest begins today!

Anyone who knows even a tiny bit about living architecture can rattle off lots of benefits. And the more benefits we can add to the list, the better. Quite often sedum species plants are used on green roofs, as I've heard a colleague say they are the "silver bullet" of the industry. Drought tolerant, available in lots of colors and sizes, needing minimal care are just a few characteristics which make it a "go-to plant". But what about edibility? Could I eat some of these plants in a pinch? Or, should I be dining on them on a regular basis?
I've wondered for a while, so during my spare time I'm going to research and post my findings.

Here's where I've started, Plants For A Future . One of my favorite websites seems like a great place to start. And I should add (as they do) "Always seek advice from a professional before using a plant medicinally, PFAF (or verticiel Inc.!!!!) can not take any responsibility for any adverse effects from the use of plants".
With that, let's start the roll call.
According to their database, the top 5 list of sedum species plants for their edibility/medicinal rating would be:

5 Sedum makinoi
4. Sedum spectabile aka Ice Plant
3.
Sedum telephium aka Orpine

2. Sedum arboroseum aka Garden Stonecrop

And the top spot goes to...
1. Rhodiola rosea aka Rose Root
This seems to be quite a plant, according to the website "it has an enhancing effect upon physical endurance and sexual potency" in addition to "The raw flowers have been eaten in the treatment of tuberculosis".

I'll try to update this list quarterly, so stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment