Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Plug-In Farm + No thanks to a green wall

Let's cut to the chase:

As predicted in other places, big time water shortages ahead for much of the United States. That most likely means less lawnsacross the USA, which, I guess, is a good thing. Unless you just bought a new mower. In those drought stricken urban environments, could we see the rise of a Plug-in Farm, which marries the urban environment and animal husbandry.

-NPR covers a great story in Baltlmore, where ex-convicts are participating in the green economy through deconstruction.

-I love it when I stumble upon superior raw data. A crop map for every county in the US is a good start. Now where's the updated one? Am I too greedy???

-Remember that massive green wall that was supposed to go up on the Edith Green-Wendell Wyatt Federal Building in Portland? Well, it's been nixed. Too expensive, too risky, some folks say. Which is a shame, in a sense. Although I'm a huge fan of living architecture, to be honest, I can think of better ways to spend that cash. If you really want to have a green wall, why not make it a food producing one? Or spend that money on roofs, lots of green roofs.

-Lastly, whenever possible I try to post permaculture resources in other languages, here are a few in French and Arabic.

No comments:

Post a Comment