Saturday, January 8, 2011

My New Year's resolution...no G.L.A.R.E.! (Gratuitous Living Architecture Representations Ever!)

Are we already a week in? If so, let's get to it.

First off, I have one resolution. I've shied away from taking a true stand in the past, but this year I resolve to not posting eye-popping living architecture conceptional drawings or whimsical green roof or green wall renderings, found pervasively online. This is the year of No G.L.A.R.E! Who knows how many of these projects ever get built. And in some cases, I hate to say it, there are more cost effective solutions. In addition, I should be supporting and highlighting the people who actually get stuff done. And there are lots of people doing small things without much fanfare. Here's to you...

On to what's new and what's new to me.

-If you're looking for tasty ways to make interesting dishes from foraged foods, Hunger and Thirst is a nice place to start.

-Can genetic engineering be used for good? By the way, click through to Conservation magazine and check out the other articles. I won't ruin the surprise by telling you any more!!!

-This story has been making the rounds, but I forgot to post about it...the EPA's attitude toward rigorous examination of that Bayer clothianidin study is infuriating. But what's even scarier is that it's not "the EPA", there aren't tens of people at fault, but power lies in the hands of a few people to review something and a whole continent can be affected. Or maybe I should be upset at Bayer?

-So I'm not feeling so great, but can still enjoy Geoff Lawton taking us on a food forest tour 300 years in the making. What's better than that? A 2,000 year old food forest in Morocco!

No comments:

Post a Comment